Inspiratori aka Sofia Barton is one of our latest artists at North East Gifts.
Her blend of fantasy, SciFi, Victorian and Eastern flavours, mixed with a hint of North East passion, make her products truly unique.
- Where were you born? Newcastle in the west end.
- Where do you live now? Still Newcastle. I couldn’t help it, I moved back to this friendly city…
- Where else have you lived? I moved to Edinburgh and had planned to remain there.
- Are your products your main job? At the moment they are part time while I look after my two year old. I only get to work when he’s asleep, between tasks at home.
- How did you get into making your own products? A friend suggested I do the entrepreneur programme with The Prince’s Trust. So after juggling some childcare I managed to get a week to work on the programme. I knew I wanted to sell art, but if it wasn’t for the start up grant to get my printer, or the mentorship for two years, I would have struggled.
- What was your first product? My first painting I sold was my fire wolf at an exhibition at Wildflower Café. It was by the best painting I’ve done I think. A lot of passion went into it.
- What’s your favourite product? At the moment I’m loving the Fog on the Tyne prints in the teacup. I’m obsessed with tea being British and I love drawing scenes in them with gold Victorian details.
- What’s coming up for you? I have a Night Market coming up where I’m trading called ‘Cabinet of Curiosities ‘ Ill be selling some old Victorian themed prints. I also have a residency with Nasty Women North East with my Asian Bride paintings exploring oppression, homophobia and violence in Indian culture.
- Best and worst things about being an NE creative? I absolutely love the community and friendliness that the North East brings. I feel there’s a unique and united culture.
- Favourite NE landmark? Vampire Rabbit.
- Favourite NE restaurant/bar/cafe? Tyneside Cinema
- Other NE creatives/brands you love? Wotmalike, Lines Behind, Alan Reed… there’s so many great creatives in the NE.
- Any hobbies or weird interests? Love anything Victorian and baroque. Love Japanese movies such as Studio Ghibli and old school rock.